MENíS TENNIS DOWNS SAINT PETERíS, 6-1, IN MAAC DEBUT
JERSEY CITY, N.J. – In its Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) debut, the Monmouth University men’s tennis team downed in-state foe Saint Peter’s, 6-1, Tuesday afternoon in the Yanitelli Bubble. With the win, the Hawks third straight, the Blue and White improves to 5-6 on the year and 1-0 in league play, while the Peacocks fall to 6-5 (2-2 MAAC) on the season.
“It is great to get our conference season started with a win,” commented Head Coach Cory Hubbard. “We have talked a lot this past week about getting better starts in singles because too many times this year we put ourselves in a big hole. We came out and got five first-set wins which shows the team is starting to understand the importance of grabbing the momentum.”
MU opened up play by taking two of three doubles matches, earning wins at No. 1 and No. 3. Freshmen Przemyslaw Filipek (Bedzin, Poland/Second Lo [Silesia]) and Bee Kumthonkittikul started Monmouth off by scoring an 8-1 victory, while junior Victor Pugliese (Boulogne, France/CNED [San Diego]) along with rookie Christian Vieira (Houston, Texas/Memorial) defeated Carlos Carrera and Tom Jottrand, 8-3, to clinch the point.
The Blue and White extended its lead in singles play as Freddy Marcinkowski (Sparta, N.J./Sparta) and Luke Adamus (Mosman, New South Wales/Redlands) notched wins at No. 4 and 5, respectfully. Leading 3-1, Pugliese sealed the victory, the first MAAC win in program history, with his 6-3, 6-1 win over Carrera, the junior’s sixth-straight victory at No. 1. Kumthonkittikul, playing No. 3, posted a 6-1, 4-6, 10-4 win over Jottrand, while Vieira cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 6 to round out the scoring for Monmouth.
MU continues MAAC play this weekend as it travels to Niagara University for a tilt with the Purple Eagles slated for 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 29th.
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Saint Peter's
Mar 25, 2014 at Jersey City, N.J.
Monmouth 6, Saint Peter's 1
1. Pugliese, Victor (MU) def. Carlos Carrera (SPU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Marko Knezevic (SPU) def. Filipek, Przemyslaw (MU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) def. Tom Jottrand (SPU) 6-1, 4-6, 10-4
4. Marcinkowski, Freddy (MU) def. Fabian Valdiviezo (SPU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Adamus, Luke (MU) def. Oliver Bellomi (SPU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Vieira, Christian (MU) def. Luke Whaley (SPU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Pugliese, Victor/Vieira, Christian (MU) def. Carlos Carrera/Tom Jottrand (SPU) 8-3
2. Oliver Bellomi/Marko Knezevic (SPU) def. Marcinkowski, Freddy/Bekhiet, Ramy (MU) 8-6
3. Filipek, Przemyslaw/Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) def. Fabian Valdiviezo/Luke Whaley (SPU) 8-1
Monmouth 5-6 (1-0 MAAC)
Saint Peter's 6-5 (2-2 MAAC)
Doubles Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Singles Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2, 1, 3, 6