MENíS TENNIS CRUISES PAST COPPIN STATE AND MORGAN STATE
BALTIMORE, Md. – The Monmouth University men’s tennis team completed a sweep in its Baltimore road trip by defeating Coppin State, 7-0, and Morgan State, 4-0, on Thursday and Friday. The Blue and White, which only dropped two sets in the non-conference matches, improves to 4-6 with the pair of victories.
“I am very proud of the way the team handled the conditions in these matches,” commented Head Coach Cory Hubbard. “Thursday [against Coppin State] was our first outdoor match and adjusting to playing in the 25 MPH winds was difficult and on Friday, playing a very good Morgan State team, the difference was our toughness and energy.”
The Hawks eased to the shutout against the Eagles, downing CSU in straight sets. After taking the doubles points, Victor Pugliese (Boulogne, France/CNED [San Diego]) and Bee Kumthonkittikul (Bangkok, Thailand/Pendleton School) both registered 6-4, 6-2 victories at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectfully. Luke Adamus (Mosman, New South Wales/Redlands) posted a 6-3, 6-2 win over Reginald Robinson at No. 3, while Freddy Marcinkowski (Sparta, N.J./Sparta), playing No. 4, blanked Roderick Peyton, 6-0, 6-0. Christian Vieira (Houston, Texas/Memorial) continued his stellar freshman campaign with a 6-1, 6-0 downing of Patrick Thomas at No. 5, before Ramy Bekhiet (Robbinsville, N.J./Robbinsville) cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Tre’vonne Peyton.
The next day against Morgan State, the doubles team of Marcinkowski and Bekhiet opened the scoring for the Blue and White, downing their No. 2 counterparts Dmitry Borodkin and Jannick Tash, 8-2. At No. 1, Pugliese and Vieira held off Duk Young-Park and Evan Ward, a doubles team that was ranked 48th in the country by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA), 8-6 to seal the point for the Hawks. Following doubles play, inclement weather forced play to an indoor facility where the Hawks continued to roll. Pugliese notched a 6-1, 7-5 win over Young-Park at No. 1, Kumthonkittkul edged Ward at No. 3, 7-5, 6-4 and Przemyslaw Filipek (Bedzin, Poland/Second Lo [Silesia]) rallied for a 1-6, 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 2 to clinch the win for MU.
“We talked a lot this week about being mentally tougher and that was put to the test against Morgan State with playing outside, inside, and finishing back outside,” added Hubbard. “The guy’s toughness and desire was the difference in the win.”
The Hawks hit the road again on Sunday, March 23rd as it faces off against former conference foe Sacred Heart in a rescheduled match. First serve is slated for 2:30 p.m. in Fairfield, Conn.
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Coppin State
Mar 20, 2014 at Baltimore, Md.
Monmouth 7, Coppin State 0
1. Pugliese, Victor (MU) def. Daniel Nino (CSUMT) 6-4, 6-2
2. Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) def. Oleksiy Krylchuk (CSUMT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Adamus, Luke (MU) def. Reginald Robinson (CSUMT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Marcinkowski, Freddy (MU) def. Roderick Peyton (CSUMT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Vieira, Christian (MU) def. Patrick Thomas (CSUMT) 6-1, 6-0
6. Bekhiet, Ramy (MU) def. Tre'vonne Peyton (CSUMT) 6-0, 6-1
1. Daniel Nino/Oleksiy Krylchuk (CSUMT) vs. Pugliese, Victor/Vieira, Christian (MU) 3-3, unfinished
2. Bekhiet, Ramy/Marcinkowski, Freddy (MU) def. Roderick Peyton/Reginald Robinson (CSUMT) 8-1
3. Kumthonkittikul, Bee/Adamus, Luke (MU) def. Tre'vonne Peyton/Patrick Thomas (CSUMT) 8-3
Doubles Order of Finish: 2,3
Singles Order of Finish - 4, 5, 6, 3, 1, 2
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Morgan State
Mar 21, 2014 at Baltimore, Md.
Monmouth 4, Morgan State 0
1. Pugliese, Victor (MU) def. YOUNG-PARK,Duk (MSUM) 6-1, 7-5
2. Filipek, Przemyslaw (MU) def. WARD,Evan (MSUM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) def. ABRAHAM,Ty (MSUM) 7-5, 6-4
4. ABRAHAM, Joshua (MSUM) vs. Adamus, Luke (MU) 6-3, 6-7, 0-2, unfinished
5. TASH,Jannick (MSUM) vs. Vieira, Christian (MU) 1-1, unfinished
6. BORODKIN,Dmitry (MSUM) vs. Marcinkowski, Freddy (MU) 0-4, unfinished
1. Pugliese, Victor/Vieira, Christian (MU) def. YOUNG-PARK,Duk/WARD,Evan (MSUM) 8-6
2. Marcinkowski, Freddy/Bekhiet, Ramy (MU) def. BORODKIN,Dmitry/TASH,Jannick (MSUM) 8-2
3. ABRAHAM, Joshua/ABRAHAM,Ty (MSUM) vs. Filipek, Przemyslaw/Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) 5-6, unfinished
Doubles Order of Finish: 2, 1
Singles Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2