MEN’S TENNIS FALLS AT NAVY, 5-2
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Junior Victor Pugliese (Boulogne, France/CNED [San Diego]) and freshman Luke Adamus (Mosman, New South Wales/Redlands) picked up wins at No. 1 and 6 singles, respectfully, but the Monmouth University men’s tennis team fell at Navy, 5-2, Sunday night at the Tose Family Tennis Center. With the loss, the Hawks slip to 2-6 on the year, while the Mids improve to 10-5 with the victory.
"Navy did a better job of closing out points at the net and we kept them in too many points,” said head coach Cory Hubbard. “We came out flat and our guys battled back, but we dug ourselves too deep a hole against a very good Navy team.”
Adamus got the Blue and White on the board with his come-from-behind 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Alex Gains his fourth win of the season, his first at No. 6. Pugliese, the reigning Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Player of the Week captured his third-straight win at No. 1, downing Austin Jones 7-6 (5), 6-4 to move to 11-4 on the year in singles play and 5-1 in dual matches. Freshman Christian Vieira (Houston, Texas/Memorial) nearly earned a win at No. 5, falling in three sets, 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7).
The Hawks came up short in doubles play as junior Freddy Marcinkowski (Sparta, N.J./Sparta) and sophomore Ramy Bekhiet (Robbinsville, N.J./Robbinsville) fell 8-4 at No. 1 and rookies Przemyslaw Filipek (Bedzin, Poland/Second Lo [Silesia]) and Bee Kumthonkittikul (Bangkok, Thailand/Pendleton School) were edged 8-5 at No. 3.
The Hawks hit the road again next Monday and Tuesday for a pair of matches against Morgan State and Coppin State in Baltimore, Md.
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Navy
Mar 09, 2014 at Annapolis, Md.
Navy 5, Monmouth 2
1. Pugliese, Victor (MU) def. Jones, Austin (NAVY) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Filipek, Przemyslaw (MU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Marcinkowski, Freddy (MU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Vieira, Christian (MU) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Adamus, Luke (MU) def. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
1. Jones, Austin/Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Marcinkowski, Freddy/Bekhiet, Ramy (MU) 8-4
2. Daniel, Blake/Mark, Calvin (NAVY) vs. Pugliese, Victor/Vieira, Christian (MU) 6-7, unfinished
3. Gaines, Alex/Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Filipek, Przemyslaw/Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,6,4,3,1,5)