PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The Monmouth University men’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision at Saint Joseph’s, Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at Springton Indoor Tennis Club. MU, which was ideal for nearly two weeks due to the inclement weather, falls to 1-5 on the year, while SJU improved to 2-2 this spring.
In doubles play, the duo of Ramy Bekhiet (Robbinsville, N.J./Robbinsville) and Freddy Marcinkowski (Sparta, N.J./Sparta) earned an 8-6 victory over their No. 2 counterparts Kyle Chambers and Andres Urrea. At No. 1 doubles, newcomer Przemyslaw Filipek (Bedzin, Poland/Second Lo [Silesia]) went down with an injury which forced him and Victor Pugliese (Boulogne, France/CNED [San Diego]) to retire and Pierre Brondeau and Kevin Gates sealed the point for Saint Joseph’s at No. 3 with their 8-3 win over Christian Vieira (Houston, Texas/Memorial) and Bee Kumthonkittikul (Bangkok, Thailand/Pendleton School).
Saint Joseph’s increased its lead to 3-0 with victories at No. 2 and No. 4 before Pugliese notched a 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles. The junior transfer improves his overall record to 9-4 in singles matches and is 7-3 in his last 10 matches dating back to the fall. Bekhiet followed suit with his 6-4, 1-6, 6-2 win at No. 6, but SJU clinched the match at No. 5 singles as Chalmers bested Marcinkowski in three sets, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3. Kumthonkittikul earned the Blue and White’s final point with his 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3) win over Dan Barrus at No. 3.
“We dug ourselves a huge hole after losing doubles and five first sets in singles,” comment head coach Cory Hubbard. “We went down 3-0 but again our team showed a lot of fight winning three matches in three-sets and almost pulled off a huge comeback. Losing Filipek during the doubles to an injury that forced him to retire and pull out of singles really impacted the match. I think our team was really affected and it showed with our slow start in singles, but I am extremely proud of the effort we showed to get back into the match. Give St. Joe's credit because they came out and jumped on us and took advantage of the situation. We have a big weekend of matches coming up, so hopefully we will be at full strength.”
Monmouth returns to the courts this upcoming Friday, February 28th with a 1 p.m. tilt with Lafayette at the Shrewsbury Racket Club.
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Saint Joseph's
Feb 24, 2014 at Philadelphia, Pa.
Saint Joseph's 4, Monmouth 3
1. Pugliese, Victor (MU) def. Sierra, Jose (SJU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 6-0
2. Brondeau, Pierre (SJU) def. Adamus, Luke (MU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) def. Barrus, Dan (SJU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Urrea, Andres (SJU) def. Vieira, Christian (MU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Chalmers, Kyle (SJU) def. Marcinkowski, Freddy (MU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Bekhiet, Ramy (MU) def. Sisti, Jason (SJU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
1. Barrus, Dan/Sierra, Jose (SJU) def. Filipek, Przemyslaw/Pugliese, Victor (MU) 3-1, retired
2. Bekhiet, Ramy/Marcinkowski, Freddy (MU) def. Chalmers, Kyle/Urrea, Andres (SJU) 8-6
3. Brondeau, Pierre/Gates, Kevin (SJU) def. Vieira, Christian/Kumthonkittikul, Bee (MU) 8-3
Saint Joseph's 2-2
Doubles Order of Finish: 1/2/3
Singles Order of Finish: 2/4/1/6/5/3