MBB GAME NOTES: MONMOUTH vs. PENN (NOV. 12, 7 P.M.)
Game 2 • Monmouth (1-0) vs. Penn (0-1)
Tuesday, November 12, 2013 • 7:00 p.m.
West Long Branch, N.J. • The MAC
Radio (Shore Sports Network):
WOBM-AM 1160 & 1310
Eddy Occhipinti (play-by-play) and Steve Bazaz (analysis)
Mike Zimmermann (play-by-play) and Mike Heyer (analysis)
Follow on Twitter - @MonmouthBBall / @MUHawks
Monmouth-Penn Series History:
• Penn leads the all-time series 4-1, in a series that dates back to the 2003-04 season.
• MU won the last meeting between the two schools on Dec. 12, 2009, 80-75, in the MAC. In the lone win of the series, Travis Taylor scored a game-high 28 points (12-14 FG), while Whitney Coleman added 20 for the Hawks.
• Penn won the first meeting, which was played at the Asbury Park Convention Center on January 18, 2003.
Penn Men's Basketball
Penn Schedule and Results
BLUE & WHITE BITS:
• Third-year Monmouth head coach King Rice guides the Hawks into their first season in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) in 2013-14. The Hawks, who spent 26 seasons in the NEC, captured four league titles in the NEC and secured four NCAA Tournament berths (1996, 2001, 2004, 2006).
• Rice has guided his team against five nationally-ranked teams since taking over the Monmouth program to start the 2011-12 campaign.
• With its victory over Binghamton on December 3, Monmouth posted its 400th Division I win in program history.
• MU forced 20+ turnovers in 11 of its 31 games last year, averaging 18.1 forced turnovers a contest, which has turned into 534 points for the Hawks. The Blue & White forced at least 15 miscues by its opposition in 24 of its 31 contests last year.
• This year’s MU roster features no seniors, four juniors and a total of 12 underclassmen. In addition, the roster includes 14 first- or second-year players in the program. Monmouth's roster features the most freshman of any school in the MAAC.
• Monmouth's season-opening road win at Hofstra was the program's first road win to open a season in the school's Division I history.
• The Hawks' 13-point comeback in the win at Hofstra eclipsed the highest comeback in any win of last season. Four times last year, MU rallied from seven points down to secure a win.
• Freshman Josh James was named the season's first MAAC Rookie of the Week on November 11, 2013. It was Monmouth's first-ever MAAC Basketball Weekly Award.
@MonmouthBBall • #FlyHawks • #MUAllDay