JERSEY CITY, N.J. – Despite sweeping the doubles matches for the second consecutive day, the Monmouth University women’s tennis team fell to Saint Peter’s, 4-3, in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) action, Wednesday afternoon at the Yanitelli Center Bubble. The Hawks’ record evens out to 1-1 (1-1 MAAC) with the loss, while the Peahens improve to 2-0 (2-0 MAAC).
Senior Brooke Verdiglione (Englishtown, N.J./St. John Vianney) and junior Farrah Smoke (Spring Lake Heights, N.J./Manasquan (Brookdale C.C.) held on to defeat Alex Livingston and Adina Halagian, 9-8, at No. 1 doubles. Playing No. 2, Ashley Sandler (Jericho, N.Y./Syosset) and Chioma Gabriel blanked Ivana Grbelja and Vanessa Vogel, 8-0, while Kendal Kauffman (Toms River, N.J./Toms River North) and Robyn Belen (Marlboro, N.J./Marlboro) earned an 8-5 win over Elena Melian and Lucia Radovic.
Kauffman and Gabriel, who play fourth and fifth singles respectively, earned the victories for the Blue and White in singles play. Kauffman, who fell behind the first set, rallied for a three-set win over Melian, 2-6, 6-4, 6-1, while Gabriel held off Vogel for a 6-0, 4-6, 6-2 victory.
Monmouth returns to action this Sunday, September 29th, as it welcomes in Manhattan for a MAAC contest at the MU Tennis Courts. First serve is scheduled for noon.
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Saint Peter's
Sep 25, 2013 at Jersey City, N.J.
Saint Peter's 4, Monmouth 3
1. Livingston, Alex (SPC-W) def. Verdiglione, Brooke (MU-W) 7-5, 6-1
2. Halagian, Adina (SPC-W) def. Sandler, Ashley (MU-W) 7-5, 6-4
3. Grbelja, Ivana (SPC-W) def. Smoke, Farrah (MU-W) 6-4, 6-4
4. Kauffman, Kendal (MU-W) def. Melian, Elena (SPC-W) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Gabriel, Chioma (MU-W) def. Vogel, Vanessa (SPC-W) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
6. Radovic, Lucia (SPC-W) def. Belen, Robyn (MU-W) 6-1, 6-0
1. Verdiglione, Brooke/Smoke, Farrah (MU-W) def. Livingston, Alex/Halagian, Adina (SPC-W) 9-8
2. Sandler, Ashley/Gabriel, Chioma (MU-W) def. Grbelja, Ivana/Vogel, Vanessa (SPC-W) 8-0
3. Kauffman, Kendal/Belen, Robyn (MU-W) def. Melian, Elena/Radovic, Lucia (SPC-W) 8-5