MEN’S TENNIS FALLS TO QU, 4-0, AT NEC CHAMPIONSHIPS
WEST WINDSOR, N.J. – The sixth-seeded Monmouth University men’s tennis team fell to third-seeded Quinnipiac University, 4-0, Friday afternoon in the 2013 Northeast Conference Championships, held at Mercer County Park.
In doubles play, Freddy Marcinkowski and Ramy Bekhiet were knotted at 6-6 with their No. 1 counterparts, Fahoum Fahoum and Garrett Lane, but the Bobcats earned wins at No. 2 and 3 to clinch the point.
Marcinkowski rallied to earn a 7-5 win in his opening set at No. 1 singles, while Jason Rothstein sat even at 5-5 in his second set at No. 5, but Quinnipiac locked up wins at No. 3, 4, and 6 to clinch the victory. Bekhiet, who was named Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week twice this season, fell in a closely contested opening set, 6-4, in a his halted No. 2 singles match.
With the loss, the Hawks conclude their season with a 6-9 record, including a 3-5 mark in NEC play, while the Bobcats improve to 9-11 (5-2 NEC) and advance to take on second-seeded Fairleigh Dickinson in Saturday’s semifinal contest.
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Quinnipiac
04/19/13 at West Windsor, NJ
Quinnipiac 4, Monmouth 0
1. BARBERO, Sebastian (QU) vs. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) 5-7, unfinished
2. FAHOUM, Fahoum (QU) vs. BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 6-4, 0-3, unfinished
3. AMBROSIO, Eric (QU) def. PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) 6-1, 6-2
4. ROSER, Luke (QU) def. PIERCE, Eric (MU-M) 6-4, 6-0
5. LANE, Garrett (QU) vs. ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 6-0, 5-5, unfinished
6. LAZEROWICH, Alex (QU) def. TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 6-1, 6-0
1. FAHOUM, Fahoum/LANE, Garrett (QU) vs. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY/BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 6-6, unfinished
2. BARBERO, Sebastian/ROSER, Luke (QU) def. PREZANT, Jason/ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 8-1
3. AMBROSIO, Eric/NELSON, Chris (QU) def. PIERCE, Eric/TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 8-4
Monmouth 6-9, 3-5 NEC
Quinnipiac 9-11, 5-2 NEC
2013 NEC Men's Tennis Tournament - Quarterfinals
#3 Quinnipiac vs. #6 Monmouth