MENíS TENNIS DOWNS SHU, FALLS TO MOUNT IN FINAL WEEKEND
WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – In the final weekend of the regular season, the Monmouth University men’s tennis team defeated Sacred Heart, 5-2, Saturday afternoon at the MU Tennis Courts before falling on the road, 7-0, at Mount St. Mary’s on Sunday. The Hawks, who were slated as the No. 6 seed in the upcoming Northeast Conference Championships, conclude the regular season with a 6-8 overall record and a 3-4 NEC mark.
The Hawks will take on third-seeded Quinnipiac at the 2013 NEC Men's Tennis Championships which will take place from April 18-21 at the Mercer County Tennis Center in West Windsor, N.J.
In Saturday’s showdown with the Pioneers, the Hawks jumped out to a 1-0 lead behind wins from the No. 1 and 2 doubles teams. Freddy Marcinkowski and Ramy Bekhiet earned their 13th doubles and fifth league victory of the season as they handled Sacred Heart’s James Barnhart and Mike Provenzano an 8-3 loss. Jason Prezant and Jason Rothstein held off Luka Bagi and Kevin Budrawich, 8-4, at No. 2 to capture the point for the Blue and White.
Marcinkowski and Ramy both continued their winning ways into singles play. Marcinkowski, who played No. 1 for the Hawks in all 14 dual matches this season, captured a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Barnhart, while Bekhiet, who was named Northeast Conference Tennis Co-Player and Rookie of the Week, earned his team-leading 14th singles victory with his 7-6, 6-1 win over No. 2 opponent Justin Pagan. After taking the first set 6-3, Eric Pierce fell to Brian Power in the second set, 4-6, before rallying in the tiebreaker to earn the 10-4 win. Rothstein earned the Hawks final point on the afternoon, cruising to a 6-2, 6-2, win over Budrawich at No. 5 singles, the junior’s seventh win of the season.
"This was a big win for our program and I am so proud of the guys,” said first-year head coach Cory Hubbard.” We have worked really hard and everyone has improved so much, so it was good to finally get a win against a solid conference team. Today was a total team effort. The energy level and enthusiasm we played with really made the difference.”
Bekhiet and Rothstein both won a singles set on Sunday, but the Mount handed MU a lost in the regular season finale.
Monmouth will now focus its attention to Quinnipiac and the Northeast Conference Championships. The Hawks and Bobcats, who will both be playing in their final NEC Championship before moving to the MAAC next season, will take to the court on Friday.
Follow Monmouth Men’s Tennis on Twitter: @MUMtennis
Like Monmouth Men’s Tennis on Facebook: www.facebook.com/MonmouthUniversityMensTennis
Tennis Match Results
Sacred Heart vs Monmouth
4/13/2013 at West Long Branch, N.J.
Monmouth 5, Sacred Heart 2
1. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) def. BARNHART, James (SHU) 6-3, 6-3
2. BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) def. PAGAN, Justin (SHU) 7-6, 6-1
3. DEAN, Matt (SHU) def. PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) 6-2, 6-2
4. PIERCE, Eric (MU-M) def. POWER, Brian (SHU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
5. ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) def. BUDRAWICH, Kevin (SHU) 6-2, 6-2
6. LOPRESTI, John (SHU) def. TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 6-0, 6-0
1. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY/BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) def. BARNHART, James/PROVENZANO, Mike (SHU) 8-3
2. PREZANT, Jason/ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) def. BUDRAWICH, Kevin/BAGI, Luka (SHU) 8-4
3. POWER, Brian/PAGAN, Justin (SHU) def. PIERCE, Eric/TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 8-1
Sacred Heart 3-12 (2-4 NEC)
Monmouth 6-7 (3-3 NEC)
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Mount St. Mary's
4/14/2013 at Emmitsburg, Md.
Mount St. Mary's 7, Monmouth 0
1. BLAKE, Matt (MSM) def. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) 6-1, 6-3
2. SALAM, Adam (MSM) def. BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
3. SALOMON, Mike (MSM) def. PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) 6-0, 6-1
4. BLAKE, Austin (MSM) def. PIERCE, Eric (MU-M) 6-1, 6-0
5. ZABETAKIS, Mike (MSM) def. ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
6. PLACE, Taylor (MSM) def. TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 6-0, 6-1
1. BLAKE, Matt/PLACE, Taylor (MSM) def. BEKHIET, Ramy/MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) 8-3
2. SALAM, Adam/SALOMON, Mike (MSM) def. PREZANT, Jason/ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 8-3
3. BLAKE, Austin/ZABETAKIS, Mike (MSM) def. PIERCE, Eric/TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 8-1
Monmouth 6-8 (3-4 NEC)
Mount St. Mary's 14-6 (4-1 NEC)