TENNIS DOWNS WAGNER, 6-1, FOR SECOND-STRAIGHT WIN
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – For the second time this season, the Monmouth University women’s tennis team defeated Northeast Conference foe Wagner as it posted a 6-1 road victory Thursday afternoon.
The Hawks, who earned their second-straight win, started strong in doubles play. Senior Nicole Lippens (West Long Branch, N.J./Shore Regional) and junior partner Brooke Verdiglione (Englishtown, N.J./St. John Vianney) picked up a 8-3 win over Nicole Vukov and Julie Teichman. Senior Dana Ferrari (Saddle Brook, N.J./Immaculate Heart Academy) and sophomore Ashley Sandler (Jericho, N.Y./Syosset) cruised to an 8-1 victory over Jenna Harris and Rachel Jurgielewicz to secure the point for the Blue and White.
After dropping the first set, Lippens responded against her No. 1 counterpart by scoring 6-2, 7-5 wins in the second and third set to earn the victory. Verdiglione, playing No. 2, downed Nikki Arnold 6-3, 6-1, while Sandler won her No. 3 singles match over Jurgielewicz 6-0, 6-4. Ferrari secured the Hawks’ victory with her 6-1, 6-1 win over Teichman and Emily Ellis (Richmond, Mass/Lenox) rounded out MU’s scoring by earning a 8-6 win over Lauren Hauer at No. 6 singles.
Monmouth returns to action on Sunday, April 14th as it travels to Emmitsburg, Maryland for a 1:00 p.m. matchup with Mount St. Mary’s before closing out the regular season on Monday, April 15th when it hosts Saint Francis Brooklyn. The 2013 Northeast Conference Tournament, which is held at Mercer County Park in Princeton, N.J., begins next Thursday, April 18th.
Follow Monmouth University Women’s Tennis on Twitter: @MonmouthWTen
Like Monmouth University Women’s Tennis on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MonmouthUniversityWomensTennis
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Wagner
Apr 11, 2013 at Staten Island, N.Y.
Monmouth 6, Wagner 1
1. LIPPENS, Nicole (MU-W) def. VUKOV, Nicole (WAG-W) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
2. VERDIGLIONE, Brooke (MU-W) def. ARNOLD, Nikki (WAG-W) 6-3, 6-1
3. SANDLER, Ashley (MU-W) def. JURGIELEWICZ, Rachel (WAG-W) 6-0, 6-4
4. FERRARI, Dana (MU-W) def. TEICHMAN, Julie (WAG-W) 6-1, 6-1
5. HARRIS, Jenna (WAG-W) def. TURNER, Sarah (MU-W) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
6. ELLIS, Emily (MU-W) def. HAUER, Lauren (WAG-W) 8-6
1. LIPPENS, Nicole/VERDIGLIONE, Brooke (MU-W) def. VUKOV, Nicole/TEICHMAN, Julie (WAG-W) 8-3
2. SANDLER, Ashley/FERRARI, Dana (MU-W) def. HARRIS, Jenna/JURGIELEWICZ, Rachel (WAG-W) 8-1
3. ARNOLD, Nikki/HAUER, Lauren (WAG-W) def. D'ARCY, Liz/TURNER, Sarah (MU-W) 8-0
Monmouth 4-11 (2-5 NEC)
Wagner 4-10 (1-4 NEC)