WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – The Monmouth University women’s team swept the doubles point and took five of six singles matches to defeat visiting La Salle, 6-1, and snap a four-game losing streak, Tuesday afternoon at the MU Tennis Courts.
Head Coach Patrice Murray changed up the doubles line-up and it worked in the Hawks’ favor. Playing No. 1 doubles, Brooke Verdiglione (Englishtown, N.J./St. John Vianney) and Ashley Sandler (Jericho, N.Y./Syosset) downed Chloe Trave and Caitlin Coelho, 8-3, while the No. 2 duo of Nicole Lippens (West Long Branch, N.J./Shore Regional) and Dana Ferrari (Saddle Brook, N.J./Immaculate Heart Academy) blanked Jenna Manzione and Allison Amrein, 8-0.
In singles action, Verdiglione cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Trave at No. 2 singles, while, at No. 3, Sandler handled Amrein, 6-0, 6-0. Ferrari posted a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Manzione at No. 4 singles and Turner eased past Ceale Jonson, 6-0, 6-0.
The Hawks return to action on Thursday, April 11th, as it travels to Staten Island, New York for a Northeast Conference battle with Wagner. The Hawks won the first meeting with the Seahawks, 4-2, back in October.
Follow Monmouth University Women’s Tennis on Twitter: @MonmouthWTen
Like Monmouth University Women’s Tennis on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MonmouthUniversityWomensTennis
Tennis Match Results
La Salle vs Monmouth
Apr 9, 2013 at West Long Branch, N.J.
Monmouth 6, La Salle 1
1. COELHO, Caitlin (LASALLE) def. LIPPENS, Nicole (MU-W) 6-2, 7-5
2. VERDIGLIONE, Brooke (MU-W) def. TRAVE, Chloe (LASALLE) 6-0, 6-1
3. SANDLER, Ashley (MU-W) def. AMREIN, Allison (LASALLE) 6-0, 6-0
4. FERRARI, Dana (MU-W) def. MANZIONE, Jenna (LASALLE) 6-2, 6-1
5. TURNER, Sarah (MU-W) def. JONSON, Ceale (LASALLE) 6-0, 6-0
6. ELLIS, Emily (MU-W) def. No player (LASALLE), by default
1. VERDIGLIONE, Brooke/SANDLER, Ashley (MU-W) def. COELHO, Caitlin/TRAVE, Chloe (LASALLE) 8-3
2. FERRARI, Dana/LIPPENS, Nicole (MU-W) def. AMREIN, Allison/MANZIONE, Jenna (LASALLE) 8-0
3. TURNER, Sarah/D'ARCY, Liz (MU-W) def. No player/No player (LASALLE), by default