MENíS TENNIS FALLS TO QUINNIPIAC, 5-2
WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – Freddy Marcinkowski and Ramy Behkiet scored singles wins at No. 1 and No. 2, respectfully, but the Monmouth University men’s tennis team fell to Quinnipiac in a Northeast Conference match Monday afternoon at the MU Tennis Courts. With the loss, the Hawks fall to 5-6 and 2-2 in NEC play, while the Bobcats, who will join the Hawks in the MAAC next year, improve to 5-11 and 3-2 in league action.
"Today was a great college match,” said Cory Hubbard. “The team battled as hard as they could, we hung around and extended the match on shear heart.”
The Hawks started fast in doubles play as Marcinkowski and Behkiet teamed up to earn an 8-6 win over Fahoum Fahoum and Garrett Lane, but the Bobcats responded by earning wins in No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to earn the point.
After dropping the first set to Sebastian Barbero, Marcinkowski rallied to defeat his No. 1 singles opponent 4-6, 6-3, 10-2. Bekhiet earned his seventh straight victory by defeating Fahoum in come-from-behind fashion, 4-6, 6-3, 10-6.
“I thought Freddy bounced back after two tough third-set losses and came out and played aggressive,” added Hubbard. “Ramy is playing at a really high level right now and proving he is one of the best players in the conference."
The Hawks will travel up the New Jersey Parkway to battle intrastate rival Fairleigh Dickinson on Wednesday, April 10th at 3:00 p.m.
Follow Monmouth Men’s Tennis on Twitter: @MUMtennis
Like Monmouth Men’s Tennis on Facebook: www.facebook.com/MonmouthUniversityMensTennis
Tennis Match Results
Quinnipiac vs Monmouth
4/8/2013 at West Long Branch, N.J.
Quinnipiac 5, Monmouth 2
1. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) def. BARBERO, Sebastian (QU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-2
2. BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) def. FAHOUM, Fahoum (QU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-6
3. AMBROSIO, Eric (QU) def. PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) 6-3, 6-1
4. ROSER, Luke (QU) def. PIERCE, Eric (MU-M) 6-2, 6-4
5. LANE, Garrett (QU) def. ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 6-4, 7-6
6. MORGENSTERN, Corey (QU) def. TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 6-0, 6-0
1. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY/BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) def. FAHOUM, Fahoum/LANE, Garrett (QU) 8-6
2. BARBERO, Sebastian/ROSER, Luke (QU) def. PREZANT, Jason/ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 8-6
3. AMBROSIO, Eric/NELSON, Chris (QU) def. PIERCE, Eric/TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 8-2
Quinnipiac 6-10 (3-2 NEC)
Monmouth 5-6 (2-2 NEC)