MENíS TENNIS FALLS AT VILLANOVA, 5-2
VILLANOVA, Pa. – The Monmouth University men’s tennis team fell to Villanova University, 5-2, Tuesday afternoon in non-conference action. The Hawks, who received points from freshman Ramy Bekhiet and junior Jason Rothstein, fall to 3-4 with the loss, while the Wildcats improve to 5-6.
“I was real proud of the effort of Ramy and Jason, not only because they won but they showed a lot of heart and fight to keep playing hard after the team match had already been decided,” stated Head Coach Cory Hubbard. “It shows a toughness and competitiveness to fight just as hard even though we had lost as a team. Both guys played very well and should take a lot of confidence away from their matches. We have a very busy schedule the next two weeks so we will back outside practicing hard and gearing up for conference.”
Playing No. 2 singles, Bekhiet, who was named the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week, continued his recent success with his 6-3, 7-6 victory over Ryan Peyton. The Robbinsville, New Jersey native has won four out of his last five singles matches dating back to early March. After falling in the opening set to Mark Miller, Rothstein rallied to down his No. 5 singles opponent 6-2 in the second set and followed up with a 10-5 tiebreaking win to move to 4-3 in singles action this year.
Monmouth returns to action this Thursday, April 4th, as it travels to Lawrenceville, New Jersey for a non-league tilt at Rider.
Follow Monmouth Men’s Tennis on Twitter: @MUMtennis
Like Monmouth Men’s Tennis on Facebook: www.facebook.com/MonmouthUniversityMensTennis
Villanova 5, Monmouth 2
1. O'BRIEN, Thomas (NOVA-M) def. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) 6-1, 6-0
2. BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) def. PEYTON, Ryan (NOVA-M) 6-3, 7-6
3. SEITZ, Chris (NOVA-M) def. PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) 6-2, 6-2
4. LEVINE, MAX (NOVA-M) def. PIERCE, Eric (MU-M) 6-0, 6-0
5. ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) def. MILLER, Mark (NOVA-M) 2-6, 6-2, 10-5
6. COLONNESE, Matt (NOVA-M) def. TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 6-0, 6-0
1. O'BRIEN, Thomas/DONALDSON, Kelly (NOVA-M) def. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY/BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 8-5
2. LEVINE, MAX/MILLER, Mark (NOVA-M) def. PREZANT, Jason/ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 8-3
3. PEYTON, Ryan/SEITZ, Chris (NOVA-M) def. PIERCE, Eric/TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 8-0