Article Image
Photo by Keith Dalton
Courtesy: Photo By Keith Dalton


Courtesy: Monmouth Sports Information
Release: March 29, 2013
Print RSS

EMMITTSBURG, Md.- Monmouth (5-6, 3-0 NEC) stayed undefeated in Northeast Conference play with an 8-5 victory over Mount St. Mary’s (3-8, 2-1 NEC) on Friday afternoon.

The Hawks, which led the entire match, built a 6-0 lead early in the second half and then had to fight off a late Mount advance which got the Mountaineers to within three goals with 4:31 left in the game. A balanced attack was the key on offense for MU, who had five different players scored two points in the contest. Monmouth has now won four of its last five contests, including three straight.

Mount goalie Sarah Jane Leder kept her team in the game with 11 saves as Monmouth dominated shots to the tune of 31-11 in the match.

Monmouth controlled the first half action but was able to build just a 2-0 lead going into halftime. The Hawks offense had 15 shots but Leder turned away seven shots to keep her squad in the game. MU’s defense, which registered its second shutout half of lacrosse this season, allowed just one shot in the first 30 minutes. Freshman Marial Pierce (Middleburg, Va./St. John’s Catholic) got the Hawks on the board first at the 22:17 mark and MU held a 1-0 lead for the next 20 minutes. Cassie Campasano (West Islip, N.Y./West Islip/Jacksonville) gave the Hawks a two-goal lead when she scored with 2:17 left on a feed from Kaleigh Gibbons (Candia, N.H./Central/RMU).

The MU lead expanded to 3-0 when sophomore Allison Stathius (Delran, N.J./Delran) gathered a rebound and beat Leder just 1:21 into the second half. Stathuis then assisted on the next MU goal, which came 31 seconds later and off the stick of sophomore Emily Barbieri (Parsippany, N.J./DePaul Catholic). The Hawks squeezed off two more goals in a 34 second span and the MU lead held at 6-0 with 22:44 to play. After 40 scoreless minutes, Mount was able to get on the board with a free position goal from Kaitlyn Larrimore.

Gibbons answered two minutes later but after seven scoreless minutes Mount’s Lindsay Diaz scored on an 8-meter shot with 11:22 to play, cutting the Hawk lead to 7-2. Larrimore scored back to back goals and the Hawk lead sat at 7-4 with 4:31 remaining in regulation. Pierce broke up the Mountaineer run with her second goal of the game to put MU ahead 8-4 with 2:01 left on the board. Mount scored on a free position with seven seconds remaining to end the scoring 8-5.

The Hawks got a pair of goals from the sticks of Campasano and Pierce while Gibbons, Stathuis and Barbieri each had a goal and an assist. Pierce also finished with four ground balls, three draw controls and a pair of caused turnovers in the win.

Larrimore had four goals on four shots for the Mount while Diaz scored the other Mount goal.

The Hawks travel out to Robert Morris on Friday, April 5 for a 1 p.m. tilt with the Colonials.

Monmouth Digital Network