MU MEN'S TENNIS FALLS AT ARMY, 6-1
WEST POINT, N.Y. - Sophomore Freddy Marcinkowski (Sparta, N.J./Sparta) earned a victory at number one singles, but the Monmouth University men's tennis team fell to Army, 6-1, Sunday afternoon. With the loss, the Hawks fall to 1-3 in dual matches, while the Black Knights improve to 8-2 on the year.
Army won the doubles point despite the tandem of Jason Rothstein (Pine Brook, N.J.) and Jason Prezant (Montvale, N.J./Pascack Hills) earning an 8-3 victory at number two. Ramy Bekhiet (Robbinsville, N.J. (Robbinsville) and Prezant both forced third sets at second and third singles, respectively. Bekhiet was edged in the first set 7-5, before coming back for a 6-2 victory in the second set, but then fell in the decisive third set, 10-1. Prezant could not hold off Army's Rashad Shelton, falling in the first set 7-6 but responded with a 6-3 second-set victory, before ultimately dropping the third set, 6-1.
Marcinkowski took the first set in his singles match, 6-4, over Caison Best. Best rebounded in the second, earning the one point victory, 7-6, but the All-Northeast Conference performer scored a 10-4 third set win to give the Blue and White its lone point on the afternoon.
The Hawks will look to rebound this Friday, March 8th as it plays host to Saint Peter's. First serve from the Little Silver Tennis Club is slated for 7 p.m.
1. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) def. BEST, Caison (ARMY) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 10-4
2. SIENKO, Peter (ARMY) def. BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 7-5, 2-6, 10-1
3. SHELTON, Rashad (ARMY) def. PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) 7-6 (7-1), 3-6, 6-1
4. DAVIES, Benjamin (ARMY) def. ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 6-4, 6-3
5. CACHA, Roman (ARMY) def. PIERCE, Eric (MU-M) 6-0, 6-0
6. HATALA, Joseph (ARMY) def. TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 6-2, 6-0
1. ISOH, Asika/MCCORMICK, Harrison (ARMY) def. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY/BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 8-6
2. ROTHSTEIN, Jason/PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) def. VAN VELZER, Alex/MCCASIN, Austin (ARMY) 8-3
3. PROCTOR, David/JANG-MILSTEN, Sam (ARMY) def. PIERCE, Eric/TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 8-3