BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The Monmouth University men's tennis team dropped a road match at Lehigh University, 7-0, Friday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. With the loss, the Hawks fall to 0-2 in dual matches, while the Mountain Hawks improve to 6-1 on the year.
"This was another learning experience for my team," stated first-year Head Coach Cory Hubbard. "After the match, the Lehigh coach commented on how much heart and energy our team played with. This is a step in the right direction and shows the team is starting to understand the effort and energy I demand."
Sophomore Freddy Marcinkowski (Sparta, N.J./Sparta) fell at No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-3, while rookie Ramy Bekhiet (Robbinsville, N.J./Robbinsville) nearly rallied in his No. 2 singles match before falling 6-2, 7-5. After dropping the first set 6-3, Jason Rothstein took home the second set with a 7-6 victory, but Andrew Krentz blanked the junior in the third set to secure the win.
"Even though the score was 7-0, we never gave up and had a stretch of momentum where we could have really made the match close. After losing all the first sets and being down in the second sets we started to mount a comeback. Ramy was serving to win the second set and Jason had just won his second set, while Freddy had several chances to go up a break in the second. If we can convert a few points, then we have four matches going into a third set, and a chance to win."
The Hawks will look to get into the win column on March 1st as they travel to take on Philadelphia University. First serve is slated for 6 p.m. from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Lehigh 7, Monmouth 0
1. GILMAN, Ben (LEHIGH) def. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY (MU-M) 6-3, 6-3
2. PETERSEN, Mitchell (LEHIGH) def. BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 6-2, 7-5
3. SAVRAN, Matt (LEHIGH) def. PIERCE, Eric (MU-M) 6-3, 6-1
4. KRENTZ, Andrew (LEHIGH) def. ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 6-3, 6-7, 6-0
5. KOCHMAN, Jeremy (LEHIGH) def. PREZANT, Jason (MU-M) 4-6, 7-6, retired
6. GOLDBLUM, Daniel (LEHIGH) def. TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 6-1, 6-0
1. PETERSEN, Mitchell/GOLDBERG, Mark (LEHIGH) def. MARCINKOWSKI, FREDDY/BEKHIET, Ramy (MU-M) 8-4
2. SAVRAN, Matt/KOCHMAN, Jeremy (LEHIGH) def. PREZANT, Jason/ROTHSTEIN, Jason (MU-M) 8-4
3. GILMAN, Ben/KRENTZ, Andrew (LEHIGH) def. PIERCE, Eric/TALAFOUS, Joe (MU-M) 8-0