Game 20 • Monmouth (7-12, 2-4 NEC) vs. Fairleigh Dickinson (7-12, 2-4 NEC)
Thursday, January 24, 2013 • 7:00 p.m.
West Long Branch, N.J. • the MAC
Radio (Shore Sports Network):
WOBM-AM 1160 & 1310
Eddy Occhipinti (play-by-play) and Steve Bazaz (analysis)
Gary Kowal (play-by-play) and Mike Zimmermann (analysis)
Follow on Twitter - @MUHawks / @MonmouthBBall
Monmouth-FDU Series History
• FDU leads the all-time series 38-30, in a series that dates back to 1972-73.
• Monmouth was victorious in both meetings last season, winning each by double-digits.
• Monmouth, which has won four straight in the series, last lost to the Knights at home during the 2009-10 season, 71-65, despite Will Campbell
's 21 points and Ed Waite
's double-double of 10 points and career-high 17 rebounds.
Monmouth vs. the Northeast Conference
• Monmouth is 258-224 all-time against the Northeast Conference.
• Under King Rice
, Monmouth is 12-12 against the NEC.
FDU Men's Basketball
FDU Schedule and Results
BLUE & WHITE BITS:
- NOT UPDATED
• Monmouth head coach King Rice
, who guided the Hawks to the NEC Tournament in his first year, returns to the sidelines on Thursday night, when the Hawks host Garden State Rival Fairleigh Dickinson in Northeast Conference action in the MAC.
• Rice, whose team faced its fifth nationally-ranked team since he took over the Monmouth program when the Hawks faced Syracuse, is now 19-32 overall with the Hawks, and is 12-12 in league play.
• Syracuse was Monmouth's highest-ranked opponent in the regular season in Monmouth's Division I history.
• With its victory over Binghamton on December 3, Monmouth posted its 400th Division I win in program history. In the win over the Bearcats, senior Ed Waite
posted a career-high 23 points on a near perfect evening for the forward. He connected on 9-of-10 from the floor, and 5-for-5 from the free throw line, with nine rebounds, two assists, a block and a steal.
• For his career-high effort in the season-opener against Hofstra, sophomore Andrew Nicholas
was tabbed the Choice Hotels/NEC Player of the Week on Monday, November 12.
• The Hawks opened the season with a 29-point victory over Hofstra, where Monmouth had 25 assists and 17 steals and forced 23 turnovers.
• MU has forced 20+ turnovers in eight of its first 19 games and is averaging 19.4 forced turnovers a contest, which has turned into 349 points for the Hawks. The Blue and White have forced at least 15 miscues by its opposition in 16 of its 19 contests.
• The Blue and White opened the year with a win for the first time since 2009, and posted the most points in a non-conference game since that win over FIU (99 points).
• Monmouth, which tied for fifth place in the league standings in 2011-12 and claimed the No. 6 seed in the conference postseason, finished last year 7-5 at home.
• The Hawks won nine of their last 12 games last season to finish 12-20 overall and 10-8 in the NEC. Monmouth posted its first NEC regular season winning record since its championship season in 2005-06.
• Last season, Monmouth University earned its 250th all-time Northeast Conference win, joining three other current league institutions to do so (FDU, RMU and LIU).
• Three members of Monmouth's current squad have been named to the Northeast Conference All-Rookie Team, upping Monmouth's program total to 17 players who have earned that distinction from the league. The three members include seniors Ed Waite
, Marcus Ware
and Dion Nesmith
• Following it’s loss at Wagner, Monmouth is now 16-12 all-time in Northeast Conference openers, dating back to the Hawks’ first season in the league (1985-86). After winning six straight NEC openers from 2000-01 to 2005-06, the Hawks have now dropped seven straight.
• The Wagner game also marked the fifth straight year that the Hawks have opened NEC league play on the road (0-5).
• Monmouth's victory over Saint Francis marked the fourth straight year the Hawks have won their NEC home opener.
• Senior Jesse Steele
, who tied a career-high with five three-pointers in the win over Saint Francis, moved into the top-10 in school history in three-point makes and now has 131 in a Monmouth uniform. He also ranks 13th all-time with 239 assists.
#FlyHawks • #MUAllDay