Game 14 • Monmouth (5-8) at Wagner (6-5)
Thursday, January 3, 2013 • 7:00 p.m.
Staten Island, N.Y.
• Spiro Sports Center
NEC Front Row
WOBM-AM 1160 & 1310
Eddy Occhipinti (play-by-play) and Matt Harmon (analysis)
Gary Kowal (play-by-play) and Robert Pina (analysis)
Follow on Twitter - @MUHawks / @MonmouthBBall
Monmouth-Wagner Series History
• Monmouth leads the all-time series 32-22, in a series that dates back to 1985.
• Wagner won the series opener 68-66 on January 7, 1985.
• Wagner has won the last three meetings in the series, and six out of the last seven encounters between the two institutions.
• The Hawks last win at the Spiro Sports Center came on February 8, 2007 (70-63), behind Marques Alston's team-high 16 points and Jhamar Youngblood's double-double of 13 points and 12 rebounds.
• Wagner defeated the Hawks in the last men's basketball game ever played in Boylan Gymnasium in March, 2009.
Monmouth vs. the Northeast Conference
• Monmouth is 256-220 all-time against the Northeast Conference.
• Under King Rice
, Monmouth is 10-8 against the NEC.
BLUE & WHITE BITS:
• Monmouth head coach King Rice
, who guided the Hawks to the NEC Tournament in his first year, returns to the sidelines on Thursday, when the Hawks open Northeast Conference action at Wagner.
• Rice, whose team faced its fifth nationally-ranked team since he took over the Monmouth program when the Hawks faced Syracuse, is now 17-28 overall with the Hawks.
• Syracuse was Monmouth's highest-ranked opponent in the regular season in Monmouth's Division I history.
• With its victory over Binghamton on December 3, Monmouth posted its 400th Division I win in program history. In the win over the Bearcats, senior Ed Waite
posted a career-high 23 points on a near perfect evening for the forward. He connected on 9-of-10 from the floor, and 5-for-5 from the free throw line, with nine rebounds, two assists, a block and a steal.
• For his career-high effort in the season-opener against Hofstra, sophomore Andrew Nicholas
was tabbed the Choice Hotels/NEC Player of the Week on Monday, November 12.
• The Hawks opened the season with a 29-point victory over Hofstra, where Monmouth had 25 assists and 17 steals and forced 23 turnovers.
• MU has forced 20+ turnovers in eight of its first 13 games and is averaging 21.2 forced turnovers a contest, which has turned into 262 points for the Hawks. The Blue and White have forced at least 15 miscues by its opposition in all 13 contests.
• The Blue and White opened the year with a win for the first time since 2009, and posted the most points in a non-conference game since that win over FIU (99 points).
• Monmouth, which tied for fifth place in the league standings in 2011-12 and claimed the No. 6 seed in the conference postseason, finished last year 7-5 at home.
• The Hawks won nine of their last 12 games last season to finish 12-20 overall and 10-8 in the NEC. Monmouth posted its first NEC regular season winning record since its championship season in 2005-06.
• Last season, Monmouth University earned its 250th all-time Northeast Conference win, joining three other current league institutions to do so (FDU, RMU and LIU).
• Three members of Monmouth's current squad have been named to the Northeast Conference All-Rookie Team, upping Monmouth's program total to 17 players who have earned that distinction from the league. The three members include seniors Ed Waite
, Marcus Ware
and Dion Nesmith
#FlyHawks • #MUAllDay