WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. - The Monmouth University women's tennis team cruised to a 6-1 victory over in-state foe, Rider, Monday afternoon, to earn its first victory of the season. The Hawks swept the doubles point before taking five of the six singles matches.
With the victory, the Blue and White improve to 1-2 on the season, while the Broncs fall to 0-3 on the year.
Junior Brooke Verdiglione (Englishtown, N.J./St. John Vianney) blanked Alexa Manforti, 6-0, 6-0, while Ashley Sandler (Jericho, N.Y./Syosset) posted a 6-1, 6-0, victory over Cynthia Vlad. Dana Ferrari (Saddle Brook, N.J./Immaculate Heart Academy) downed Kim Leder, 6-1, 6-0 and Sara Turner (Alexandria, Va./Thomas A. Edison) recorded a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Leonora Paul. Emily Ellis (Richmond, Mass./Lenox) rounded out singles competition with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Samantha Troxell for her first collegiate victory.
Fresh off their victory over Navy, Nicole Lippens (West Long Branch, N.J./Shore Regional) and Verdiglione downed Manforti and Marly Roche, 8-1. Sandler and Ferrari blanked Leder and Vlad, 8-0, while Turner and Liz D'Arcy (Colonia, N.J./Wardlaw-Hartridge) edged Paul and Annette Frankowski, 8-4.
The Hawks will head north to take on Northeast Conference rival Fairleigh Dickinson in Teaneck on Thursday. The match is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Rider University vs Monmouth
Sep 24, 2012 at West Long Branch, N.J.
1. Roche, Marly (RID-W) def. LIPPENS, Nicole (MU-W) 3-6, 6-4, 10-4
2. VERDIGLIONE, Brooke (MU-W) def. Manforti, Alexa (RID-W) 6-0, 6-0
3. SANDLER, Ashley (MU-W) def. Vlad, Cynthia (RID-W) 6-1, 6-0
4. FERRARI, Dana (MU-W) def. Leder, Kim (RID-W) 6-1, 6-0
5. TURNER, Sarah (MU-W) def. Paul, Leonora (RID-W) 6-0, 6-1
6. ELLIS, Emily (MU-W) def. Troxell, Samantha (RID-W) 6-0, 6-1
1. LIPPENS, Nicole/VERDIGLIONE, Brooke (MU-W) def. Roche, Marly/Manforti, Alexa (RID-W) 8-1
2. SANDLER, Ashley/FERRARI, Dana (MU-W) def. Vlad, Cynthia/Leder, Kim (RID-W) 8-0
3. TURNER, Sarah/D'ARCY, Liz (MU-W) def. Paul, Leonora/Frankowski, Annette (RID-W) 8-4