GAME NOTES: MONMOUTH vs. SIENA (JAN. 2, 5 P.M.)
GAME MOVED TO 5:00 P.M. START due to impending weather!!
Monmouth (6-7, 0-2 MAAC) vs. Siena (5-8, 1-1 MAAC)
Thursday, January 2, 2014 • 5:00 p.m.
West Long Branch, N.J. • the MAC
Watch Live on HawkVision
Radio (Shore Sports Network):
WOBM-AM 1160 & 1310
Eddy Occhipinti (play-by-play) and Matt Harmon (analysis)
Mike Zimmermann (play-by-play) and Mike Heyer (analysis)
Follow on Twitter - @MonmouthBBall / @MUHawks
Monmouth-Siena Series History:
• Siena leads the all-time series 2-1, in a series that dates back to 1979-80, as the Saints won the opener 92-84.
• Monmouth's lone victory in the series came on December 2, 2003, when the Hawks defeated Siena 89-76 on the road. Siena returned the favor in Boylan Gym a year later, topping the Hawks 60-59.
Siena Men's Basketball
Siena Schedule and Results
BLUE & WHITE BITS:
• Third-year Monmouth head coach King Rice guides the Hawks into their first season in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) in 2013-14. The Hawks, who spent 26 seasons in the NEC, captured four league titles in the NEC and secured four NCAA Tournament berths (1996, 2001, 2004, 2006).
• Rice has guided his team against five nationally-ranked teams since taking over the Monmouth program to start the 2011-12 campaign.
• With its victory over Binghamton on December 3, 2012, Monmouth posted its 400th Division I win in program history.
• This year’s MU roster features no seniors, four juniors and a total of 12 underclassmen. In addition, the roster includes 14 first- or second-year players in the program. Monmouth's roster features the most freshman of any school in the MAAC.
• At the start of the season, the Hawks featured a total of just nine years of collegiate playing experience on the roster.
• Monmouth's season-opening road win at Hofstra was the program's first road win to open a season in the school's Division I history.
• Behind his 13-point performace at Hofstra, junior Andrew Nicholas eclipsed the 500-point mark in his MU career, and remains the Hawks' leading total point scorer on the roster, while classmate Max DiLeo leads the program in career games played.
• The Hawks' 13-point comeback in the win at Hofstra eclipsed the highest comeback in any win of last season. Four times last year, MU rallied from seven points down to secure a win. The Hawks have now comeback from double-digit deficits in four of their six wins this year (deficits of 13, 13, 11, 13).
• Freshman Josh James was named the season's first MAAC Rookie of the Week on November 11, 2013. It was Monmouth's first-ever MAAC Basketball Weekly Award. The guard repeated as MAAC Rookie of the Week on December 2.
• Twice this season, Monmouth has been featured on SportsCenter's Top 10 plays, as both Deon Jones (#3 vs. MVSU) and Tyrone O'Garro (#4 vs. Rider) were highlighted.
@MonmouthBBall • #FlyHawks • #MUAllDay