WOMEN’S TENNIS EDGES WAGNER, 4-3, TO SNAP SKID
WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – The Monmouth University women’s tennis downed visiting Wager, 4-3, Wednesday afternoon in a non-conference match at the MU Tennis Courts. The Hawks, who improve to 2-5 on the season, earned the doubles point before Farrah Smoke (Spring Lake Heights, N.J./Manasquan (Brookdale C.C.), Kendall Kauffman (Toms River, N.J./Toms River North) and Sarah Turner (Alexandria, Va./Thomas A. Edison) earned singles victories to seal the win for the Blue and White. Wagner falls to 3-3 with the loss.
Playing No. 1 doubles, senior Brooke Verdiglione (Englishtown, N.J./St. John Vianney) teamed up with Smoke to defeat Nicole Vukov and Kari Rezac, 8-4, while Emily Ellis (Richmond, Mass./Lenox) and Ashley Sandler (Jericho, N.Y./Syosset) held off Sarah Dionisio and Madison Pautsch, 9-7, at No. 2 doubles to earn the point for the Blue and White.
In singles play, Smoke downed her No. 3 counterpart Pautsch, 7-5, 6-1, while Kauffman, playing No. 4, earned a 6-3, 6-4 win over Rachel Jurgielewicz. Turner, who won the deciding point for the Hawks, captured her first victory of the year as she defeated Cassidy Lessard, 6-3, 5-7, 10-5.
Monmouth returns to action on Monday, October 21st as it travels to Philadelphia, Pa. to battle LaSalle.
Tennis Match Results
Wagner vs Monmouth
10/16/13 at West Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth 4, Wagner 3
1. DIONISIO, Sarah (WAG-W) def. VERDIGLIONE, Brooke (MU-W) 6-3, 6-2
2. VUKOV, Nicole (WAG-W) def. SANDLER, Ashley (MU-W) 5-2, retired
3. SMOKE, Farrah (MU-W) def. PAUTSCH, Madison (WAG-W) 7-5, 6-1
4. KAUFFMAN, Kendal (MU-W) def. JURGIELEWICZ, Rachel (WAG-W) 6-3, 6-4
5. REZAC, Kari (WAG-W) def. BELEN, Robyn (MU-W) 6-1, 6-1
6. TURNER, Sarah (MU-W) def. LESSARD, Cassidy (WAG-W) 6-3, 5-7, 10-5
1. VERDIGLIONE, Brooke/SMOKE, Farrah (MU-W) def. VUKOV, Nicole/REZAC, Kari (WAG-W) 8-4
2. ELLIS, Emily/SANDLER, Ashley (MU-W) def. DIONISIO, Sarah/PAUTSCH, Madison (WAG-W) 9-7
3. HARRIS, Jenna/JURGIELEWICZ, Rachel (WAG-W) def. BELEN, Robyn/KAUFFMAN, Kendal (MU-W) 8-5