WOMEN’S TENNIS FALLS AT NIAGARA, 7-0, IN SPRING OPENER
NORTH TONAWANDA, N.Y. – In its first match of the spring season, the Monmouth University women’s tennis team fell at Niagara, 7-0, in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) play, Saturday night. With the defeat, the Hawks fall to 3-7 in dual matches on the year and 1-3 in MAAC play, while the Purple Eagle improve to 9-5 overall and 3-0 in conference action.
After sweeping the doubles point, NU won straight sets until freshman Robyn Belen (Marlboro, N.J./Marlboro) held off her counterpart Jenna McCune, 6-4, in the opening set of their No. 6 singles match. McCune rallied in the final two sets and earned a 6-1, 10-6 win to seal the shutout victory for Niagara.
The Hawks will hit the road again this Tuesday, April 1st when they travel to Staten Island, N.Y. for tilt with former league foe, Wagner, beginning at 3 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Monmouth vs Niagara University
Mar 29, 2014 at North Tonawanda, N.Y.
Niagara University 7, Monmouth 0
1. Ta, Ashley (NIAW) def. Verdiglione, Brooke (MU-W) 6-3, 6-1
2. Hellstern, Sarah (NIAW) def. Sandler, Ashley (MU-W) 6-2, 6-1
3. Velasquez, Paulina (NIAW) def. Smoke, Farrah (MU-W) 6-2, 6-0
4. Ortiz, Maria (NIAW) def. Kauffman, Kendal (MU-W) 6-0, 6-2
5. Celan, Iva (NIAW) def. Gabriel, Chioma (MU-W) 6-2, 6-1
6. McCune, Jenna (NIAW) def. Belen, Robyn (MU-W) 4-6, 6-1, 10-6
1. Hellstern, Sarah/Velasquez, Paulina (NIAW) def. Verdiglione, Brooke/Smoke, Farrah (MU-W) 8-2
2. Ortiz, Maria/Celan, Iva (NIAW) def. Sandler, Ashley/Gabriel, Chioma (MU-W) 8-2
3. Ta, Ashley/McCune, Jenna (NIAW) def. Kauffman, Kendal/Belen, Robyn (MU-W) 8-1
Monmouth 3-7, 1-3 MAAC
Niagara University 9-5, 3-0 MAAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,4,2,1,5,6)